Chris and John in South Carolina

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Brussels/Paris - Day 8



Day 8 – Brussels and back to Paris

 The next day, after a mediocre breakfast at the hotel, we successfully navigated the Brussels subway headed to a large flea market called the Marolles Marche aux Puces (French for Flea Market) which is located in Place du Jeu de Balles in a section of the city called Quartier Marolles.  The market dates back to 1873 and was a fun and eclectic outdoor market held on an old cobblestone square. 

As you can imagine, Jane was in Flea Market Heaven!
Beaucoup Stuff!
Close encounters of the smelly kind
It was there that Chris had her next high point of the trip – being snogged by a homeless guy.  (snogged – see ‘Paris – the Send Off’ in my blog).  Jane had gone her own way in the flea market - as Jane is wont to when antiquing – and left me to stroll the myriad lanes of the market alone.

I walked past a table where a merchant displayed old weaponry of various sorts, and I noticed a man checking out an old fencing type sword.  He was sandy haired, with a wildish beard and a hat that made me think of Robin Hood.  As he was flexing the sword in a carefree sort of way, he caught my eye and, being a nice American, I gave him a friendly smile.  So a few feet farther down the aisle, next thing I know this fellow is beside me chatting me up in French.  Then he puts his arm around my shoulder, all comradey at such, still chatting away – I’m still thinking he’s Robin Hood or something.  Next thing I know he gives me this smooch on the cheek.  That’s when I notice the distinctive odor of someone who hasn’t been paying proper attention to personal hygiene – for quite some time.  I then realize he’s not Robin Hood after all, and I certainly had no intention of being Maid Marion.  So I politely said, in my best French, that I didn’t speak French, je regret, and went off to find Jane. 

“Mom TOLD us not to leave one another,” I admonished her when I found her.  “And now look what happened!  I got smooched by a homeless guy!” 

I did manage to buy some beautiful strands of crystal beads afterward, and for a great price.  So I wasn’t as scarred by the experience as one might imagine.  Sigh............


Other than the Marche aux Puces, the notable place we saw in Quartier Marolles was Port de Hal.  It is a 14th c tower and the only remaining part of the city’s 2nd perimeter wall.  The reason it survived at all is that it was used as a prison in the 18th c and later as a museum. 

This is from a plaque in front of the Port de Hal and shows the original layout of the city wall.  For those of you who speak French, you can read more about it.




Stepping back in time
After another successful negotiation of the city’s subway back to our hotel, we decided to spend the rest of our day shopping for lace and chocolates before heading to the train station for our return to Paris. 

Shortly after we set out we had what was to be the next high point of the trip – making a spur of the moment side trip down what looked for all the world like Diagon Alley (muggle readers won’t understand).  At the end of the alley was a small, but intriguingly inviting sign, and we just felt compelled to go inside.

Entrance to Impasse St. Nicholas, aka Diagon Alley

Olivander's straight ahead on left

Look, isn't that Hermione Granger?

Now where is Borgin and Burkes again?


The place turned out to be a very old and quite small pub called Au Bon Vieux Temps, or The Good Old Days.  In business since 1695 (can you even imagine?), it has gorgeous stained glass windows and a unique piece of equipment in front of the fire place that we learned is a Leuven Stove from the 1700’s.  A web site called ‘The Best Pour’, devoted to reviews of bars for grownups, has this to say about the place, “This is an absolutely stunning bar located on an alley in the old town of Brussels.  It is almost a religious experience to enter this small bar and have a beer.”  I quite agree!  There is something special about the place. 


When Jane and I were there we were the only customers and were able to have a nice long talk with the owner, Madam Triest, who gave us a history of the place that I wish I had written down.  We so thoroughly enjoyed our visit that when we left, we both looked at each other and said in unison, ‘Well!”  Upon which we laughed at ourselves heartily.

If you got to Brussels, DO make a point of visiting Au Bon Vieux Temps and think of us while you sip your brew.

Entrance to Au Bon Vieux Temps


Their most captivating stained glass window, IMHO

Wondering how I might make something like this someday.

What happens in Brussels, stays in Brussels

Owner Madam Triest and her bartender whose name, alas, I did not write down

Their charming fireplace and Leuven stove

Jane engaged in an animated discussion with M. Triest 

La Tour Noir
Another medieval structure that caught my eye was la Tour Noir, or the Black Tower, which was very near our hotel.  It’s a remnant of the first ring of city walls build to protect Brussels in the 12 c.  It stirs the romantic fancies in my head when I see things like this - chivalry and knights and dragons and such.  

Medieval meets Modern






Fancies and Chocolates
There are many, and I mean many chocolates shops and lace shops around the Grand Place.  Where to start?  Well, we got lucky.  Because in the first lace shop we entered, Maison Antoine, we were greeted by the owner who is a lace maker herself.  She spent a good deal of time with us explaining different ways of lace making and some of the history of lace and its importance in Belgian history and economics.  Looking at some of the lace and getting a glimpse of what is involved with making bobbin lace, especially, I decided it required brain connections I don’t have.  Holy smokes, how intricate!  We both bought several pieces as gifts and some for ourselves.  I bought a small round piece the owner, herself, made using the bobbin method.  It’s a work of art, really, and hangs in a frame in my kitchen today.

Trivia
Here’s what I didn’t know about Maison Antoine that I just learned from Frommers on-line – the building is a former guild house where Victor Hugo lived in 1852

 We asked the proprietor for suggestions on where to get chocolates and she recommended Neuhaus which is right next door to her shop.  Again, we hit gold and bought lots of gifts as well as some for ourselves.  Yummy, beautiful Belgian chocolates!
           


Brussels Fairwell
We treated ourselves to one last order of Frites, picked up a variety of Belgian beers for gifts back home and headed back to the train station for our return to Paris.  What a thoroughly lovely city, and what a great time we had!  I think a longer trip is in order – perhaps including Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp and maybe Holland as well.  Maybe a river cruise.  Hmmmmm……..

I leave day 8 with some final pictures of the Grand Place.






No comments:

Post a Comment